Massachusetts drivers must establish financial responsibility
by obtaining auto insurance coverage at the following minimum coverages:
- Bodily injury to others at $20,000 per person and $40,000 for each accident.
- Personal Injury Protection that pays up to $8,000 to you, your passengers, pedestrians, and anyone else you allow to drive your vehicle.
- For bodily injury caused by an uninsured auto at a minimum of $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident.
- A minimum of $5,000 for damage to another person's property.
Massachusetts Auto Insurance Fraud
Millions of dollars are lost each year because of auto insurance fraud, according to the Insurance Fraud Bureau of Massachusetts.
Many types of auto insurance fraud exist, such as:
- Storing a car in a public storage facility and the reporting it missing.
- Claiming recent vehicle damage for damage that existed previously.
- Staged auto accidents.
- "Enhancing" auto accident injury claims.
- Adding people to an accident report, even though they were not involved in the accident.
- Withholding information when applying for an auto insurance policy.
The costs of fraud must be absorbed somewhere, and the consumer usually ends up paying for these in higher insurance premiums.
Operating Under the Influence of Alcohol (OUI)
More than 10,000 people in the commonwealth are arrested for drunk driving each year, according to DUI-USA.DrinkDriving.org, These people are classified as intoxicated when they have a blood alcohol content level (BAC) of 0.08 percent or higher. Massachusetts' accident statistics indicate roughly 350 highway fatalities each year, with 150 of them being alcohol related.
This translates to about 40 percent of Massachusetts' yearly traffic fatalities being directly related to the consumption of alcohol. DrivingLaws.org summarizes Massachusetts' penalties for drunk drivers that include stiff fines, victim restitution, license suspension, jail time or a state prison sentence.
Strange Massachusetts Laws
It is illegal to snore in the state of Massachusetts unless all the windows in the house are closed and locked. It is also illegal at a Massachusetts wake to eat more than three sandwiches. Don't show up too hungry.
Driving Through Massachusetts
When driving through Massachusetts, travelers will see history around every turn in the road. Did you know that it has been over 100 years since the sinking of the Titanic? Travelers can stop at the Titanic Historical Society in the town of Indian Orchard. Artifacts donated by relatives of passengers who died on the 1912 maiden (and only) voyage of the RMS Titanic can be found at this one-of-a-kind museum.