All motorists in Washington, D.C. are required to have automobile insurance that meets or exceeds the state's minimum state requirements as follows:
- For injury per person injury: $25,000
- For injuries per accident: $50,000
- For property damage per accident: $10,000
Uninsured Motorist Coverage:
- For injury per person: $25,000
- For injuries per accident: $50,000
- For property damage per accident (with a $200 deductible): $5,000
Washington D.C. Auto Insurance Quotes
Washington D.C. Auto Insurance
Officially known as Washington, D.C., the city is the nation's capital and the only U.S. city that is not part of a state. Today, the city is on land that once was part of Maryland where the Anacostia and Potomac rivers meet. D.C., referred to by locals as The District, is home to several distinct neighborhoods, including Georgetown, Dupont Circle and Capitol Hill.
The National Mall in the heart of the city draws millions of visitors each year with its many museums and monuments. Tours of the White House, Washington Monument and U.S. Capitol are just some of the activities popular among tourists. Each spring, the Cherry Blossom Festival attracts out-of-towners who marvel at the pink and white blossoms produced by the trees that dot the shores of the tidal basin.
Insurance Fraud in Washington, D.C.
Like every other state in the nation, Washington, D.C., has its own share of insurance fraud. Something as seemingly harmless as listing a friend's home address (as yours) on an insurance application in order to get better insurance rates or exaggerating accident injuries does constitute insurance fraud. Millions of dollars are lost in Washington, D.C. annually to auto insurance fraud.
Consumers must make up the difference by paying higher insurance premiums. Here are several other forms of Washington, D.C. auto insurance fraud:
- Hiding a car in a friend's garage and reporting it "stolen" in order to collect on the insurance policy.
- When mechanics and body shops use second-hand or junkyard parts while billing the insurance company for new parts.
- Selling a fraudulent insurance policy.
- Tampering with the insurance card of an expired policy to make it look like it is currently in effect.
- Staging accidents.
- Filing a claim for an auto accident that never really happened. This is called a "paper" accident because the accident occurred only on paper.
- Referring people injured in a collision to doctors, mechanics, body shops and attorneys for a fee.
Alcohol-Related Accidents in Washington, D.C.
In any given year, Washington, D.C. has fewer than 100 traffic fatalities. The District has one of the highest rates of alcohol-related traffic deaths in the nation, with fatalities increasing by 6.2 percent from 2013 to 2014.
Strange Laws in Washington, D.C.
All states have some very interesting laws on the books. Here are a few of Washington, D.C.'s:
- All lollipops are illegal.
- It is illegal to walk around in public if you have a common cold.
- You will be punished by a fine and/or incarceration if you harass Sasquatch, Bigfoot or any other undiscovered species. Doing so is a felony.
Driving in Washington, D.C.
Washington, D.C. has so many historical sites that it will take days to tour them. It is a good idea for tourists to find these sites on a city map, and drive around the capitol locating as many historical monuments, buildings, cemeteries and museums as possible. Then they can determine which sites they want to visit. Did you know that much of Washington, D.C.'s National Mall was once under water?
Auto Insurance Center Methodology
Auto insurance quotes are for a hypothetical driver who has state minimum coverage with $500 deductibles for one vehicle. The driver is male or female, 35 years old, has good credit, a college degree, and is employed with a clean driving record, no lapse in coverage, or claims. The vehicles are driven 16,000 miles per year for commuting and are garaged on premises. The auto quotes include common discounts and are estimates, but not guaranteed.
Enter Your Zip Code to Get Insurance Offers in Your Area!